A quick 3-day getaway trip after a long week is quite the daring and adventurous move. It requires exquisite planning because you need a location that’s not too far or too close to your home and activities that won’t leave you worn-out before a new week starts. Weekend trips require mental focus because it’s 3 days of pure bliss and then back to your everyday life.
Where to go in the UK and USA:
- Edinburgh: Fill your weekend with history, culture, and breathtaking sights. Join the bus tour on Waverley Bridge, enjoy modern architecture at the Scottish parliament, swing by the St. Giles Cathedral, and explore George Street for retail therapy, food, and drinks.
- The Lake District: Zip your boots and get ready for a wild hike through nature. Go fishing or kayaking on the lake, climb 250-year old oak trees or the Scafell Pike, visit the Grasmere Gingerbread Shop, and sleep in luxury at the Gilpin Hotel & Lake House.
- Cornwall: Sandy beaches, seafood, and coastal towns equal a relaxing weekend. Visit Port Isaac, a picturesque fishing village, see history at Michael’s Mount, surf at the Watergate Bay, and finish up at breathtaking St. Ives.
- Eden Valley: You may consider moving to the countryside after this trip. Enjoy sandstone villages dating back to Viking times, long walks by the riverside, explore the St. Michael’s Church at the Brough, and see the iconic ancient town of Kirkby Stephen.
- Durham: An ancient town with a real castle. The Durham Cathedral is a stunning architecture you won’t forget. Make time to see the Neptune Statue, wander through historic buildings, and enjoy good food at Oldfields Eating House.
- Napa Valley: Taste wine in places like the Stony Hill Vineyard, eat tasty farm to table foods, stay at the Calistoga Ranch or the Maison Fleurie, bike through the Napa Valley Vine Trail, swing by the Cameo Cinema for a movie, go for a picnic, and feed cool animals.
- The Hamptons: Eat the day’s catch at the Seafood Shop, check into a pet-friendly hotel, borrow a Kronan bike, and head over to East Hampton Village for retail therapy. Don’t forget to visit the 1770 House for an elegant dinner in a historic setting.
- Palm Springs: Pick a boutique hotel and head to the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway and catch a ride in one of the rotating cars up to the Mountain Station— at about 8,500 feet. Eat a hot dog at the Frankinbun and check out the amazing thrift and vintage shops.
- New York: For art, food, fashion, and nightlife scenes, New York is the place to be. Check out Fifth Avenue’s designer line up, see the city from the Rock Observational Deck; you can
also feast in Chinatown or little Italy. Also, don’t forget to see a Broadway show.
- Washington DC: Visit the Smithsonian museums, the Lincoln Memorial, U.S. Capitol; and enjoy great food, arts, and the amazing nightlife scenes.